Enjoy a big protein boost with this healthy winter warmer
This is a really good winter warmer, high in calories to replenish those glycogen stores and boost of protein for recovery on those big training days. It is also nutritious and filling. As well as a reasonable amount of protein and carbohydrate provided by the chicken and rice, this delicious dish has coconut milk which can be your friend or foe, depending on which variety you use.
- Calories 474
- Carbs 63g
- Fat 14g
- Protein 23g
- 4 x skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small aubergine, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 sliced green chilli
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tin chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 cups of rice
- 4 cups of coconut milk
- 2 cardamom pods, lightly bashed
- Lightly fry the aubergine and chicken for a few minutes in oil.
- Add the spices, chilli, onions, ginger and garlic along with the chopped tomatoes. Top up with a splash of water so the vegetables are barely covered, simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked.
- Add rice and coconut milk to a pan along with cardamom pods. Bring to boil and leave to simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed (top up with water if necessary).